Having spent 4 consecutive Mardi Gras weekends in New Orleans, I decided it was high time I caught the Endymion Parade. We decided to meet up with one of Elvi Tom’s friends at Deutches-Haus a block below Canal on S. Galvez. It’s apparently an old landmark that has been overrun by a very seedy neighborhood.
We got a late enough start that parking proved a bit problematic, but we finally found a cozy spot underneath a street lamp near what could have passed as crack houses. At this juncture, it was decided that the Canon SLR with zoom lens would remain hidden inside my little backpack for the duration. No sense in holding a “please rob me at gunpoint” sign with a view-finder up to my face.
The good: for $5 we had access to warm rooms, patio, tables, chairs and, most importantly, INDOOR PLUMBING! Deutches-Haus also had a cheap buffet line set up for parade-goers.
The bad: I was pretty disappointed in Endymion. Although the floats were bigger and flashier, with some name-brand musical entertainers (Kid Rock and REO Speedwagon), it lacked a cohesive theme. The throws were less than impressive as well. A huge gap in the parade (~1 mile?) developed early on which seriously detracted from the overall effect.
I have concluded that Krewe of Muses and Krewe d’Etat are by far the best parades. They each have a very well-developed “brand” and generous signature throws. Both are fun, funny, and irreverent. What more could you ask for?! To use everyone’s favorite SAT format:
Muses and d’Etat : Endymion as
Musee d’Orsay : The Louvre (the world’s most overrated museum)
I have yet to catch Zulu or Rex. Another time..
No comments:
Post a Comment