Sunday, January 22, 2012

Saving Soles One Shoe at a Time

"Voodoo Gumbo"
I got way behind this year!  We had hoped to get this year's Blue Suede Glitter shoes completed during the Christmas holidays, so Tom could chauffeur them back to New Orleans, but that didn't even come close to happening!


"Gator-tator"
We did have some extra help this year: my mother helped shop for silly stuff at the local Dollar Tree and made a couple of shoes ("Lampshade Wannabe" and "Peek-a-shoe").  Since we've gone to all the trouble to give our creations fittingly fabulous names, we titled and signed the barren blue soles of our shoes this year.  Thanks to a gold metallic Sharpie paint marker, the soles are pretty, too!


This glittering business makes a gosh-awful mess!  It gets on everything, including the dogs, and appears to have a very long half-life.  I think I'm still finding bits from last year! Even after letting the adhesive set on the shoes, bits would continue to crumble off while decorating.  We definitely needed to refine our glittering process.  Hello, Mod Podge (glossy)!  I love that stuff!  Mod Podge, glitter, then more Mod Podge works like a charm.


"Crawtator"
I just couldn't stay out of the Mod Podge.  I sat there, munching on Zapp's Crawtators and pondering how to use some crawfish beads we had, when it occurred to me we could put the chip bag on a shoe!  Hell, yeah!  Okay, I tried my damnedest with the less-than-cooperative foil chip bag before throwing in the towel and printing a picture of the Crawtator bag on more pliable paper.  The results were awesome: a 3-shoe Zapp's series!  "Cajun made with a kettle crunch" and perfectly outrageous!




Ooh!  Look what I just found!  A Mod Podge rocks blog!  Indeed, it does!



1 comment: